Thursday, July 9, 2009

Doppelganger

I got a promotion at work and a very good pay increase to go along with it, but when thinking about it this morning on the way to work it didn't seem like enough. What? Am I getting greedy? Yes, but only with my time. I'm tired of my commute. They could give me a 20k increase and I might be able to overlook the two hours I spend on the road each day, but until then it won't be enough. Sigh.

My commute-free self waved from the front porch this morning as I backed out of the driveway, taunting me. It's job is so simple - it does whatever I imagine I'd rather be doing than commuting to work. How great would that be? I wish that I could be someone else's free time doppelganger. I would love doing whatever they wished they could do and reporting back to them that, yes, it was as awesome as they thought it would be.

I need to come up with a company that provides a doppelganger service. However, there would be restrictions on what your hired doppelganger could do. This would not be the kind of service where they had to do all the things you didn't want to do. No, that is what they have administrative assistants for, but this service would take on the great things that you simply don't have time for. Want to tell people that you have climbed Mt. Everest? Sure, we can do that for you. We'll even document the climb with pictures and your doppelganger will look just like you. We would take great pride in finding the right look alike.

Want to go to every show of your teenager's high school theater production, but have to work two of the nights that it is showing? No problem! Your doppelganger will be there in your favorite seat, taking notes and pictures so that when you switch places right after the show, you'll know everything that happened.

Can't make it to the wedding of your spouse's/significant other's best friend? Don't worry, we have that covered! We will even find a gift from the registry for you to purchase and for your doppelganger to take to the event. You'll be the life of the reception without actually having to be there!

Yes, I can see it now, I will be a millionaire soon with the introduction of my new company - Doppel Dealings. Look out, World, your life just got easier and more exciting...for only $20 an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment