Monday, April 27, 2009

BEYOU

I was struggling with my thoughts this morning. I was trying to shake off anger, hurt, and disappointment from this weekend, and deal with the fact that you can't make everyone happy. I decided on the way to work this morning that you have to be true to yourself, always seek and present the truth as best you can, and deal with the fact that pleasing everyone else and doing what is right are not always the same thing.

I believe in truth. I also know that the truth hurts, but a lie is poison that works over time with ever increasing pain, which will never kill you but can leave you in constant agony. Lies poison the ones that hear them, and the ones that tell them. Lies are the things that you say and the things that you omit. I, myself, must say I am a liar if I want to tell the truth. We are all liars. However, we can choose to change that and work to be more truthful. We can choose to tell the truth even if it gets us in trouble. You do not have to regret telling the truth.

I saw a personalized license plate that stuck with me this morning. It said, "BEYOU". It was gone before I could recognize the kind of car it was on, but I was glad I had time to read it. I needed that this morning.

A personalized license plate read on the way to work offered sound advice. Vanity license plates are supposed to tell you about the driver who created them; perhaps this driver is a therapist who is trying to help other commuters with a compelling message in two words - Be You.

Thank you, Mr./Mrs. Therapeutic Vanity Plate Owner. You have made a difference simply by driving past me on the interstate this morning. You are so much better than I am. I was thinking this morning that perhaps I should change my plate to DEALW/IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment