Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Coffee


I enjoy having a cup of coffee on my way to work in the mornings. I have found that I'm not really after the caffeine that many people rely on to get started each day; it does not affect me. The reason that I have a cup of coffee each morning is because I enjoy the way that coffee tastes. Well, to be honest, I enjoy the way coffee tastes once I have fixed it.

Coffee, on its own, is nasty. I have never learned to drink a plain black cup of coffee, and I do not think that I will every try to gain that skill. Why should I? Cream is all that is required to transform bitter nastiness into decadent flavor. Using a flavored coffee increases the decadence and makes it almost sinfully delicious.

This morning I was thinking about how I normally like my coffee. When thinking of coffee along the lines of "I like my coffee like I like my women...", then my original preference for coffee can only be labeled as "Aryan". I like a little coffee with my cream, but no sugar. However, I've been trying to cut back on consuming unnecessary fat where I can. For the past month, my coffee has looked Ethiopian - dark and rich.

I have to admit that I love the novelty of drinking seemingly black coffee, but as I said before, I could never handle plain black coffee. My now Ethiopian coffee is not plain, but sweetened with Splenda's Flavors for Coffee in French Vanilla. This sweetener works for the most part, but it all depends on the strength of the coffee.

I tend to drink my coffee weaker than other people that I know - namely my husband. If the coffee is brewed too strongly, then the sweetener does not work. I have found that blueberry flavored coffee and the sweetener are absolutely delicious. However, I am starting to miss my cream.

This morning, I made a connection between coffee and truth during my commute to work. You might ask: How is that possible? Well, let me explain.

Truth can be good. Truth can be bitter. Truth can be doctored and served according to the recipients taste. Truth is truth, but everyone's truth is different. Each person's truth is a product of their view of what truth is supposed to be.

In my mind, you can replace truth with coffee in that paragraph and it will still be an accurate description. Truth and coffee, accepted and served differently all over the world.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, or perhaps my coffee is bitter this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment