Thursday, May 7, 2009

Morning Radio Shows

On an hour commute in the morning, sometimes the need for a distraction from focusing on fellow commuters, accidents, license plates, and the weather is solved by listening to the radio. Music can really help pass the time and soften raw nerves. On the other hand, most radio stations play the same thing over and over again and I get tired of it. I also tend to play my CDs over and over again until I get tired of them. When your music selection is limited, then music is not always the answer.

Most mornings I either commute in silence, thinking things over and having preparatory conversations in my head, or I listen to a morning radio show. The only radio show that I listen to is Bob and The Showgram. These guys are rather crazy, but extremely entertaining.

This morning they had mother's read from their children's diaries/journals in order to win a pair of tickets to the upcoming New Kids On The Block concert. The mother who read the funniest entry on the air was the winner. One woman read her 10 year old son's journal that contrasted sharply with the diaries of the 10 and 11 year old girls. He talked about wanting to discover and name a planet that had volcanoes on it the size of continents; the girls talked about boys. The ultimate winner was an entry where the daughter had heard her parents in the bedroom and was confused about what was going on. It was rather funny.

I'm not sure that I would invade the privacy of my child and read their diary/journal entries on the air to get a pair of NKOTB tickets. I was about 9 when the popularity of these guys was in full swing during '89-'90, and I can remember my best friend being in love with them while I could not care less. I have never been a fan of boy bands. I have never really been a "big fan" of any sort. I enjoy music and like to go to concerts, but I was never the type to collect pictures, buy t-shirts, get things signed, send fan mail/e-mail, or read their websites. I support my chosen favorites by occasionally buying their CDs, and that is it.

I am unaffected by the thrill of obsession when it comes to famous people. There are many famous people that I would like to meet, but on most occasions I imagine running into them somewhere and pretending that I have no idea who they are. I want to interact with them, see who they are in person, and not have the giddiness factor intrude. I am a fan of the unfan movement I suppose.

So there you are, famous people, you are safe with me. If I admire you in some way, then I might get excited about meeting you - which means you are probably an author - otherwise, I could take you or leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment