Friday, May 1, 2009

Poppies

Every morning and evening of this past week, I have seen the most glorious vision of red. On the rise of a grassy median that separates the US70 Bypass, there is a stretch of blooming wildflowers. The crimson heads of the poppies dominate the scene.

"Monet's poppy field, Giverny" by Debbie G - borrowed from her photostream on Flickr

I wish that I could stop and gather some of the poppies to take them home with me, but then I would mar the roadside scene that I have come to look forward to and luxuriate in the passing beauty for the full minute that it is in sight.

The scene always makes me think of Monet's 1873 painting, Poppies, Near Argenteuil
.


I love that painting. It is one where I would love the ability to just walk onto the scene that it captures so well.

The poppies cheer me on the way to work, and cheer me on the way home. They are currently the highlight of my commute. I don't know how I'll recover from loosing their delightful impact on my normally dreary drive when they have eventually lost their bloom.

A simple wild treasure that can change your view of the world - crimson poppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment